Hot, fresh peppers
1. Peel eggplant and slice as thin, salt and let it sit overnight.
2. Put in a press and squeeze out all the moisture. (Use two plates weighted with a can, or put the slices in a colander with towels on top and then a can on top of the towels. Or, like my brother, use an old necktie press.)
3. Slice the hot peppers and garlic thin.
4. Boil the vinegar and blanch each slice in the hot liquid for about 10 seconds.
5. Pack in layers in pint ring-top jars and fill with olive oil.
Note: You can eat the melanzane in a day or two, or can preserve it by using the cold-pack canning method.